The Alliance of Sector Skills Councils

Technical Workers - training routes

Building services technician is the collective term that is used to broadly describe a diverse range of jobs normally qualified to NVQ Diploma or SVQ Level 3/4, Higher National Certificate or Foundation Degree level or equivalent.

There are various training routes depending on whether you are new to building services engineering or already working in the sector:

New entrant

In England and Wales it is possible to do an Advanced Apprenticeship in Building Services Engineering.

Alternatively, throughout the UK you can undertake a National Certificate and progress to a Higher National Certificate or Foundation Degree
Mature new entrant, career changer, or career progression.  There are opportunities in further education at National Certificate or
NVQ Diploma/SVQ Level 3.

In higher education there are training routes at Higher National Certificate, NVQ Diploma Level 4 and Foundation Degree level.

Experienced worker

If you have been already working in the sector but don't have a formal qualification, there are opportunities to gain an NVQ Diploma award, City and Guilds Licentiateship award and/or registration via a professional body as a Engineering Technician.

For further information:

Visit our dedicated Good Day careers website to find out why you should train, the different types of training you can get involved in, and who to contact for more help.  You may also like to contact the following:

> Building Engineering Services Training - T: 01902 497606
> JTL - T: 08000 852308
> Many of the professional institutions in the sector give details of accredited higher level qualifications which will prepare you for professional membership and engineer status.

Graduates and Professional Qualifications

Depending on the route you take, you can achieve the status of Engineering Technician, Incorporated Engineering of Chartered Engineer. These professional qualifications recognise your skills and abilities as an engineer and are valued by employers across the world.

The level of qualification you can achieve is based on your education and experience.

Many of the professional institutions within the building services sector have details of accredited university courses that are also recognised in order for you to become a registered engineer.

Also visit: Engineering Council UK - for information about registered engineers.

Careers/Vacancies on external websites